Huge backlash has erupted over plans by the Labour-run council to shut down the climbing wall at the Life Centre and replace it with a soft play area.
The proposals have sparked anger among climbers, parents and regular users, who say the wall is one of Plymouth’s most important specialist sporting facilities and should not be sacrificed for yet another soft play attraction.
A petition opposing the closure has now received more than 2,600 signatures, with campaigners warning the move would leave a major hole in the local climbing community.
Plymouth Plus contacted Plymouth City Council yesterday after the petition received thousands of signatures and asked whether there were indeed plans to close the climbing wall.
The council was also asked why any change was being proposed, whether anyone had been consulted and whether alternatives to closure, including investment or partnership options, had been considered.
Only at around 4pm today was a public consultation published by the council, setting out proposals to create a five-floor soft play area inside the Life Centre.

Plymouth City Council owns Plymouth Active Leisure, which operates the Plymouth Life Centre. They say they are reviewing the climbing wall because it is only used by “a relatively small number of people” and is operating at a loss.
They claim substantial investment is needed to keep the wall open, including around £40,000 this year and a further estimated £500,000 over the next 20 years to replace the climbing wall, on top of ongoing annual maintenance costs.
While the council has set out the estimated cost of keeping the climbing wall open, the consultation has not outlined the projected cost of the proposed soft play area.
Plymouth already has commercial soft play venues available, leaving many frustrated with the plans to close the publicly owned climbing wall.
The petition says the climbing wall is a “cherished resource” which supports physical and mental well-being for people of all ages and abilities.
Campaigners say that it is the only facility of its kind in the area for roped climbing and warn that its closure would leave a “huge gap” in the climbing community.
The petition also warns that if the wall closes, the next closest operating climbing centre would be more than 20 miles away, involving more than a one hour round trip by car, with no viable public transport option available.
No final decision has yet been made, and you can have your say on the plans by clicking here before Monday 22 June.
If approved, the work is expected to get underway this winter, with the Life Centre remaining open throughout construction.
Labour councillor Kate Taylor (Ham), cabinet member with the responsibility for sport and leisure, said the Life Centre is an “incredible Plymouth asset” and that the council has a responsibility to ensure it can continue providing top quality facilities for years to come. She said:

“A soft play and family entertainment area would encourage many more people into the centre and, more importantly, offer valuable routes for children, parents and carers to become more active and explore the other sports and activities already on offer – transforming what is now a specialist facility into something that supports much wider participation.
“However, we must make it clear that no decisions have yet been made and we want to hear from as many people as possible before taking any further steps. Although we know that the climbing wall has been running at a loss for a number of years, with a little over 200 regular users, we also know that the facility is an important one, which is why we want to hear from everyone.
“We need to fully understand the impact that any changes would have, not just on current and potential climbing members but also on affected staff. I would therefore encourage people to take a look at the proposals and share their thoughts with us over the coming weeks so that we know how Plymouth people feel about the proposals.”
Sign up for free below to get notified of all the latest breaking news from Plymouth Plus.